Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Planning My Wedding Using Social Media

 Planning a wedding is not easy to do.  There are a lot of small details that you need to remember.  There are also a lot of big money decisions that you need to make.  It doesn’t help that I am the first in my family to be getting marry.  If it wasn’t for the Social Media, I would be at a lost.

Two sites that I have been using are TheKnot.com and WeddingWire.com.  They have great ideas for invitations, cakes, dresses and locations.  They bring the vendors to one location and split them up into states.  They also have a section for real brides to share their personal wedding ideas.

After looking a bunch of banquet halls, I put a deposit on Crest Hollow Country Club in Woodbury, NY.  Crest Hollow gave me a list of recommended vendors for DJ, photography, limo and florist.  We don’t have to use their recommended vendors, except for the florist.  We had to pick the florist from their list.  They recommended one florist but after reading reviews from other brides in a couple of forums we picked someone else.  Good thing we searched the forums because all the reviews for that they were very rude.  There are many forums out there that helped me.  I did a search for “Crest Hollow Country Club Brides” and I found links to forums where former brides commented on Crest Hollow and their recommended vendors.  Some brides used the recommended vendors and others didn’t.  That opened my search list. 

Since I am the first in my family to get marry, I don’t have a realistic idea of a budget or timeline.  Thanks to WeddingWire.com, I was able to create a budget and timeline sheet.  I just punched in the total budget and number of guest and they broken the budget down accordingly.  They also give me the flexibility to make my own changes and additions.  Plus they have an iPhone app so I can look at my budget and timeline on the go.

Social media has had a great impact on the wedding industry.  We no longer have to rely on what the banquet managers tell us.  I can get first hand experience from people who have been in my shoes.  These forums can make or break a company.  I had all intentions on visiting the florist that the banquet manager recommended.  But after reading the reviews from other Crest Hollow brides, I canceled my appointment.  Social media helps bring more importance to customer service and customer satisfaction.  You make one bride upset and thousands will know about it.

~ Michelle Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment