Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Found My Passion and I'm Sticking to It

Like any other child growing up, I had a million and one different occupations that I saw myself becoming once I became an adult. It first started out with me wanting to be a singer then a judge, which turned into becoming a police officer then an obstetrician/gynecologist. Growing up in a single parent house, youngest of three children (only girl), and pretty much the only child living at home with my mother. She always made sure that I was involved in a wide variety of activities from dance (my first love), to soccer, to playing the clarinet. This all allowed me to be able to travel and meet different people.

In my senior year in high school I was selected as a dancer for the then American Basketball Association (ABA), basketball team called the Rochester Razorsharks. Shortly after the first season had gotten underway, I had fallen in love with media and the idea of becoming a broadcast journalist. I was able to meet new people and sometimes traveled to away games. Being a part of the dance team allowed me to not only to do what I love, but also allowed me to experience public speaking. After finishing undergrad and now being in grad school, broadcast journalism still happens to be my career focus. With a little public relations mixed in.

Social media plays a major role in broadcast journalism.  For journalist that travel and report the news from either in the US or out the country use livecasting sources such as Skype, Ustream, and Podcast. There’s also Twitter, which we all know about. These few examples of social media allow reporters to communication with the world at anytime, whether during a natural disaster or the speech given by the president at the White House.

-Kamilah 

No comments:

Post a Comment