Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Can Big Companies Trust Their Employee's to Handle Their Social Media Accounts?

When designers like Marc Jacobs are on twitter their fans who follow him get to preview his new collections, projects, and what he is up to. CEO of Marc Jacobs who recently stepped down as the official twtter account handler gave this task to an intern of the company. Strangely enough the intern had a melt down on @marcjacobsintl twitter account. This is what he had to say about the company.
  • A posting from an iPhone at midnight EST read: 'You guys and gals have no idea how difficult Robert is. I am only an intern. My last day is tomorrow. I wouldn't be tweeting this if not!'
  • 'Good luck! I pray for you all. If you get the job! I'm out of here. See ya! Son't want to be ya! Roberts a tyrant! Seriously! He is tough!' another read.
  • He continued: 'I can call him out! I'm out! Won't work in this town again! I know that! Learned a lot. But, I don't have the energy for what is expected!'
  • Signing off, he added: 'Yea, walk in my MJ shoes! Don't judge me! I'm alone in this office having to try and entertain you all. This isn't easy. I have tried. Done!'
  • According to The Daily Truffle, the tweets were deleted at approximately 4am EST.

Now, I love using Twitter and other social media outlets but if I were in the position of given the task to tweet for my boss, no matter the circumstance I would not let my frustration out on an account like Marc Jacobs.I wouldn't want to be 'blacklisted" from a world where I would possibly want to have a future career in. This makes Marc Jacobs company look back and also it can make companies like this and others to not trust their employees? If Robert Duffy thought about this more clearly he should have given this task to a trust worthy employee to deal with the twitter account. Companies should let their employers be trusted with social media accounts because this a new outlet to reach your audience/fans.That being said these type of accounts should be confidential with a team that deals with these outlets and protect the content on these sites and the passwords.


-JOHN

No comments:

Post a Comment