Saturday, February 19, 2011

Why do we use social media?

Personally, I am at the point where I think it would be best if I delete my Facebook account. I can't control who writes on my wall or the different photos that I am tagged in. Moreover, I definitely don't trust those privacy settings. But it would be a professional mistake to become an unsearchable person in the interconnected world in which we live right now.

That is why I am trying to learn everything I can about using social media for business. The younger generation is expected to lead this movement, and regardless of my personal feelings on the point of sites like FourSquare, I certainly need to be literate in any and all new media that is rapidly appearing on the Internet.

I am currently working in public relations and the most important advantage of social media is that we no longer need to rely as heavily on traditional media to get the word out, and share our stories with our audiences. Now, the channels are at our finger tips. In order to be most effective, we need to learn how to utilize these channels to serve organizations in the best possible way.

I am not entirely convinced that the majority of people have a clue of what those best practices are. In a way, this is refreshing, but also disappointing, because everyone is in this rapidly changing, learning process together.

To the next Zuckerberg, the latest Google feature, and Apple's new gadget of the week: Bring it on! We are all ready to learn.

- Briana Samuels

No comments:

Post a Comment