Monday, February 21, 2011

LOL,SMH,ROFL...SOCIAL MEDIA IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD :/


It’s really quite sad to see how our world has evolved. It seems that our country has become totally obsessed with social networks (ie: Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare). What did we ever do before these sites came out? Twiddle our thumbs on our stoops or chitchat on the phone for endless hours. Whatever we did before these sites were invented is not vital but how we interacted with one another is. The more I visit these sites, the more I am able to study people.

I come to conclusion that everyone has two different personalities: one for Facebook and one for the “real” world. When I’m looking to kill some time between classes, I “creep” on some of my co-workers pages. More than half the time I am in total disbelief of what I see and read. Half naked photos, provocative positions, and outrageous status updates. Then when the workweek starts up you see the conservative and “clothed” co-worker handling corporate calls in their cubicle.

It seems like everyone is airing out their dirty laundry and is eagerly waiting to see how many “likes” or “comments” they get on their photos. I have a friend who gets severely upset when particular people don’t “like” her status or don’t write happy birthday on her wall. It’s really amazing how people react to such minuet issues like this. It really makes you think how people react to bigger issues.

The main point I guess I am trying to say through this blog is that if your going to participate in this social media orgy, don’t get emotionally attached. The big question however is when these sites eventually fade (maybe the next decade or two), will we back go back square one again? If that happens, how will everyone react? Will we be able to communicate to each other in a normal old fashion way or will we crumble as a society? This is something educators, media professionals and the youth of America should think about before its too late.

@ Elisa Cervone

No comments:

Post a Comment