Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Social Media:A New Way to Interract

My way of social media has many interpretations. It's a way of stay connected with friends, networking, and staying updated to whatever your interests are. Twitter and Facebook are my daily usage. Twitter is a very handful tool that I use because it helps me to stay updated with my friends that I don't get to see on an everyday basis and it's also useful to me because the people or brands i follow allow me to keep up with whatever their new moves are. Twitter has been great to me I have met people on twitter through mutual friends and network with them which has been great because I landed a great internship, gone to some great events, and made new friends/contacts through it. Facebook allows me to stay connected with friends that I don't talk or see regularly. To be honest though I don't take Facebook seriously because I perceive it as an outlet to be yourself. I treat it as a blog. I post videos, pictures, links that I enjoy and hopefully my friends or people that are my friends find an interest in it. Sometimes FB can be too much! There are those few that don't agree with everything you say or sometimes get offended but really it's only FB life doesn't revolve around it. That being said people need to stop spending their leisure time by abusing social media and need to start using this as an outlet to accomplish their goals. I went to an event for Social Media Week which was 2 weeks ago and the event was at The Hearst Building which Cosomo Mag hosted and if was quite informative. The panel which included Bryanboy who is a fashion blogger that has been recognized by the fashion world is a great example of what his mission was. His way of starting to use social media was by blogging on this website. He said that he wanted to make a blog that shared his passion for fashion, experiences, and people he met to his readers. He then moved onto twitter and also facebook. He uses twitter to promote companies that offer him free clothing or pay him to promote it, he shares his trips,events, and ideas thru twitter. So to conclude this Bryanboy is making himself into a brand. A brand to his blog. By doing so he now is working on products such as makeup, clothes, and such. I think that is very smart of how he started it all. If he can do it so can anyone. Social Media is not a threat to expose your every move or be stalked it can be a way to build yourself up in an industry of your choice!



-John Morales

1 comment:

  1. So who/what is the John Morales “brand”? You have posted a lot of different ideas, some contradictory (which is often the nature of life, isn’t it?) How can you focus on your personal brand and then use social media to position “John Morales” – just as you used Twitter effectively to land a great internship? And if you continue to reinforce “John Morales – the brand,” might it be that your internship will want to keep you on as a full-time employee? How much more valuable a commodity will you be to them? Can you use social media to create a bidding war between employers to land “John Morales – the brand?”

    ReplyDelete