Monday, February 28, 2011

Love It or Hate It..It's the new wave of Social Media..

Two years ago we saw exponential growth of social media, especially the development of social networking sites. According to Nielsen Online, Twitter's popularity spurted during the past 2 years.  Meanwhile, Facebook continued to outpace MySpace, who knew?. So I guess it goes to show that during the past 2 years we as social media consumers have certainly picked our prime sites we choose to socialize with the world. When Twitter first came out I thought who would want to use this? All you do is write what you are doing every second of the day. " I'm at the mall right now". " I'm watching the Oscars right now, OMG look at Natalie Portman's Dress!" For me I had thought that this website is a waste and is like the website Xanga that we used to post random thoughts and videos. Although, now Twitter is one of the main sites people use day-to-day and continues to add more people to their bandwagon. 


I knew I was out of the loop several months ago when I went on an interview with a big media company. The interviewer had asked me if I Twittered. I had replied no I don't have an account. The answer I got back in return was, "oh, really thats a problem because you have to know how to Twitter". After that interview ended I was completely stunned by the person's response and said to myself, "is this what the world is coming to?" Before enrolling in a Social Media class I still didn't want to partake in the Twitter frenzy because I honestly I don't care to have one nor have the urge to blog about my life every second of the day. Out of all the social media websites, I happen to go on FB the most, but it certainly took me a while to make a profile. Although, just like Myspace that lured thousands of people I wonder if FB will eventually crash and die like Myspace. Now when we hear the word Myspace we think of 13 year olds posting up childish pictures and comments. We forget though 3 to 4 years ago we were all glued to our computers when Myspace was "in". 


I personally think just like everything else, these media sites might loose some momentum and people will "be over" them. Just like clothing or the hot new lipstick of the season, they eventually die and then come back 3 years later. I think FB and Twitter may be in now but like Tim Gunn says, " one day your in the next day your out".


- @ Elisa Cervone

No comments:

Post a Comment