Sunday, March 13, 2011

Where are all the jobs???

They say that more jobs are coming.  Where?  I don't see them.  I see opening for Senior Executives or Producers and Directors.  But I am a college student preparing to graduate in May.  I can't go for those jobs.  I have no experiences.  I need an entry level position where I can learn the tricks of the trade and to move up the ladder.  It is even harder for someone who is considering a career change.  I have some industry experience but will that get me an interview from the new career I'm looking at?

There are not enough entry level positions.  And the entry level positions that are out there require you to already have experience because you will be doing the work of someone who was laid off and would have been your mentor.

Every company needs a post-graduate training program.  The big networks like NBC and Fox have them, but if you are not looking at a career in those places, where do you start?

They say that you get experience from an internship.  But when you are working a full time job to pay for school, when can you do the internship.  They say do freelance jobs.  I am getting marry soon  and my future husband has a temp job with no insurance.  How can I leave my stable job with benefits for a freelance job to get the experience to get another job?

All I can do is relay on friends to hook me up with something, but that limits me to the places I can go.

They say you need to think positive to have positive things happen.  I read an article where Japan hold Job Hunting Pep Rallies to help boost the spirits of college students looking for jobs.  At the same time they are bring awareness to just how many people will be looking for jobs.

So the bottom line is:
      We need more entry level positions or post graduate job programs.
      We need to keep our spirits up and just keep pushing.

Something has to happen one day...right?

~  Michelle Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment