Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Elevator Speech, yes prepare one!

We are all familiar with the classic cover letter. It’s an introduction to who you are with a quick summary of accomplishments and how those accomplishments can benefit the company you are seeking employment from.  The elevator speech is similar to that with the difference that you must be able to “perform” your speech in a blink of an eye.
So where does this elevator speech take place? You guess it. In an elevator! If you are wondering who you will be performing this speech to, the truth is, it could be anyone you may want to work with who happens to be on the same elevator.
Here are some easy steps in preparing your elevator speech.
1.      Your Present – share what you are currently doing. If you are student, mention what you are currently studying and what school you are attending. If you are employed, share what your responsibilities entail and show enthusiasm when discussing.
2.      Your Past - mention what other places you have worked or other activities you have been involved with.
3.      Your Future – give a quick future outlook and what road you would like to continue on.

I used my own “elevator speech” when visiting a friend at her job. On the same elevator was the VP of Human Resources of whom I was friendly with in a past job. She recognized me and greeted me very nicely. She proceeded to ask me what I was doing these days. I jumped into action with my elevator speech and I was pleasantly surprised when she invited me to her office for an impromptu interview.
When opportunity knocks, just remember it could be in an elevator.
-Adriana Muniz

No comments:

Post a Comment